Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Welcome to the Groves

Hello. Welcome to the Groves.

I am writing this blog to share my adventures in quilting. Quilts have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. My grandmother was a quilt maker and both she and my mom taught me to sew and cultivated my interest in quilts. 

I am amazed by how many memories have flooded my mind as I write this. My grandmother made two quilts for me. My favorite was made of simple squares of fabric. It was wonderful! I always thought it had a unique ability to keep me warm but still be cool to the touch. I adored it. I loved the colors and looking at all of the patterns in the fabric. Grandma had a great sewing room and I was always curious about it and all of the amazing things that she did in that room. She pieced quilts, made pillows, and was the go to person to mend torn jeans. I remember my cousin making a special heart shaped pillow with grandma as a guide. I was envious, and wanted to learn too. After much persistence grandma helped me piece together two nine patches of corduroy and make it into a pillow. 

Whew! End of flashback!

While I have a rich personal history with quilts I am  still relatively new to the world of quilt making and hope to learn and grow as an artist and craftsman. I will post here as I am creating and learning and use this as a place for some reflection and nostalgia. 

-Jan-Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping among the groves. Please feel free to share any thoughts, comments or tangent ideas. I would love to hear your point of view and make every effort to respond via e-mail to you.